Thursday, June 16, 2011

New Computer & Portal

Well that wasn't going to last long, there is no way that I'm going to go without my computer for more than a couple days. So yesterday afternoon after my other post about not having a computer I went ahead and bought a new one.

Here are the basics:

6 core 3.3GHz AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
16GB DDR3-1866 RAM
2 Radeon HD 6850 2GB GDDR5
120 GB SSD with 450MB/s read
600 GB 10,000 rpm
2 TB 7200 rpm

I'm hoping that will run Minecraft ok. =)

I also have a feeling that should do well with Skyrim.

So after buying a new computer, what is the first thing I do (hasn't delivered yet)? I get on my xbox and download Portal since I've never played it. Yes Portal 1, it's supposed to be one of the best games evar! So ok I'll give it a spin, for $15 ($20 since I had to buy M$ points, Damn you Bill Gates). After about an hour I'm on puzzle 16, seriously you can fly through that game if you have any idea how the portals work. Considering that I have seen plenty of the game in motion I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing, but it still was tricky at times to see how the puzzles worked. By the 16th puzzle with the turrets, that was when things got interesting. I'm not really sure how to progress through the level quite yet. It doesn't feel impossible by any means, but it wasn't an automatic, go to A then B then C, so that was pretty cool.

What got me though was that the turrets kept freaking me out when one would see me behind glass (I'm thinking it's unbreakable, not totally sure yet though). I mean the game is kind of creepy to begin with, Glados talking to you the whole time and pretty much nothing else, it's a very isolated feeling. So as I'm working out the turrets my son comes walking in the media room and scares the crap out of me. It's 10:30 at night and behind me I hear the door opening up, freaked me out. Keep in mind I'm playing this game in a media room with a 9 foot projector TV and surround sound, so any noise or movement in the room really gets my attention fast.

Great way to play though, I really like playing up there on my Xbox. I've done it with the computer a couple times (raiding in WoW and stuff) but it just doesn't seem to work the same. I'll have to play some MC up there with the new computer. And yes I could play MC on the xbox once that comes, but really I'm a PC guy, and I'm not sure how MC will be on the xbox, but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment